Tuesday, April 13, 2010

thirty seconds in the file room

(inane office dialogue on a rainy Tuesday afternoon)

Colleague: So, like, we only get sick days and vacation days? Don't we get, like appointment days?

Us: What do you mean?

Colleague: Like, days off for appointments and stuff?

Us: Pretty sure you won't get an entire day off for an appointment.

Colleague: Really?

Us: Yep. Maybe you should look at the employee manual.

Colleague: What's that?

Us: The thing you got when you were hired.

Colleague: Oh. I gave all that stuff to my mom.

Us: Why?

Colleague: She does that stuff for me.

Us: What stuff?

Colleague: You know, look after the stuff I need to know.

Us: But it's your job, not hers. Right?

Colleague: Yeah, well, whatever.

Us: So, if you have a question about your job, you'll call your mom?

Colleague: No. I'll just ask you.

Us: Uh, no you won't.

Colleague: Why not?

Us: 'Cause we're not your mom. What the hell do you think you're getting paid for? Wake up, darlin. No one gives a shit about you here.

1 comment:

  1. This conversation reminds me of one I had with my coworker about doing her taxes.

    Me: Have you done your taxes yet?
    CW: No. I don't think so, My dad handles that.
    Me: You're 26 years old, don't you think you should be able to do your own taxes?
    CW: No, that's what my dad is for.
    Me: What about when he isn't around to do them?
    CW: What do you mean? He's not going anywhere. Who does your taxes?
    Me: I do.
    CW: Why, your dad won't do them for you?
    Me: My dad died two years ago.
    CW: Oh. Maybe I should learn how to do my taxes.

    ReplyDelete